Port William is located on the eastern shore of Luce Bay in Galloway.
Founded by Sir William Maxwell of Monreith in 1770, the harbour was one of the first in western Galloway.
The author Gavin Maxwell (Ring of bright water) lived in nearby Elrig.
The Gavin Maxwell Otter monument can be found in Monreith near the Golf Course.
The Port can be reached from Glasgow by the A77 to Stranraer, then the A75 eastwards, turning off right in to the Machars at Glenluce. From the south and east follow the A75 westwards and turn left in to the Machars at Newton Stewart.
For comprehensive information on the port and local area visit www.portwilliam.com.